Historical Events







  • J.L. Trent called people of the area together on Sunday afternoons for Sunday School. They met in the basement of a building on Glenn Street for the first time on January 7, 1940.

  • March 10, 1940 – Sunday School attendance was 86.

  • First Vacation Bible School happened on July 1, 1940 – July 7, 1940.

  • First Revival happened on November 17, 1940 with Rev. Floyd Creasy preaching.

  • Organized the Church on December 1, 1940. Rev. J.L. Trent was elected as temporary pastor.

  • March 16, 1941 – Church voted to purchase two lots on May Avenue at a cost of $1,600.00.

  • November 15, 1942 – Opening service of Basement Building.

  • December 3, 1944 – Rev. J.L. Trent accepted the full time pastorate of Lynn Garden Baptist Church.

  • By 1945, a Woman’s Missionary Union, Baptist Training Union and a Brotherhood had been organized.

  • In 1948, we sponsored a mission Sunday School which later became Gravelly Baptist Church.

  • By 1949, a Building Committee was authorized to secure an architect to draw plans for a new Sanctuary because the congregation had grown out of the basement.








  • December 24, 1950 – First Sunday in the new Sanctuary. Membership was 615.

  • February 2, 1951 – First baptism in the new Sanctuary.

  • In 1953, a lot was donated to the church to be used as a parking lot.

  • 1n 1957, the first floor of the Education Building was built.


  • During 1960, the second and third floors of the Education Building were completed.

  • A church-sponsored kindergarten was organized in 1961.

  • In 1961, Rev. J.L. Trent served on the Ordination Council for Rev. Carl L. Strickler who was ordained to the gospel ministry.

  • On December 5, 1965, our church celebrated its 25th Anniversary with a special reception immediately after the evening worship service.

  • In 1965, Rev. J.L. Trent was honored as the “Citizen of the Year” by the Kingsport Civitan Club, on the 25th Anniversary of our church.







  • Rev. J.L. Trent retired in 1970 after 30 years as our church’s first pastor.

  • On December 1, 1971, Rev. Carl L. Strickler assumed the pastorate of Lynn Garden Baptist Church.

  • In October 1972, the church bonds were burned to represent the end of the church’s indebtedness with Rev. J.L. Trent and Rev. Carl L. Strickler present.

  • In 1974, the church withdrew from the Holston Association and joined the newly-formed Sullivan Baptist Association,

  • In 1977, a beautiful steeple was finally put on top of the Sanctuary Building.

  • Carpet was installed in the Sanctuary Building and a new organ was placed in the Sanctuary in 1978.







  • The Evangelism Explosion Personal Witness Training Program began in 1982.

  • During the 1980’s, our youth traveled to Myrtle Beach to share the gospel in campgrounds.

  • August 10-19, 1989 – Our youth took a mission trip to New Orleans.








  • 1990 was the 50th Anniversary of Lynn Garden Baptist Church.

  • June 24, 1990 – Open house for the newly renovated church parlor.

  • In 1997, Dorothy McCurry retired after 26 years as secretary of our church.

  • Reconstruction of the Fellowship Hall began in 1990.

  • Purchase of the house at 305 May Avenue.

  • Rev. Jim Lindsay served as Interim Pastor.

  • In 1997, fellowship kitchen was remodeled.

  • In 1999, Rev. Carl L. Strickler retired after almost 29 years.









  • January 9, 2000 – With a 99.24% yes vote, the church called Rev. Gale Hartley as the third pastor of Lynn Garden Baptist Church.

  • March 22, 2000 – Church voted to approve the addition of internet service for the church offices.

  • Youth traveled to Nebraska for a mission trip.

  • In November 2000, a children’s chapel was established on the first floor of the Education Building.

  • February 2005 thru July 2005 – Dusty Stout served as Pastor.

  • In October 2005, Rev. Carl L. Strickler became the church’s Interim Pastor.

  • On January 15, 2006, Rev. Michael Wrye joined Lynn Garden Baptist Church as our fifth Pastor.

  • In April 2006, a new roof was purchased for the Sanctuary Building.

  • Church traveled to New Orleans during the summer of 2006 to do mission work after Hurricane Katrina.

  • In April 2007, the Vestibule and the Sanctuary were painted.







  • In March 2010, the elevator was completed and installed in the Sanctuary Building.

  • In April 2010, the church purchased the house at 1400 Lynn Garden Drive.

  • Major renovations occurred. Offices were remodeled and new windows were installed in the Education Building.

  • In July 2011, the remodeling project of the Parlor began.

  • August 26, 2012 – Rev. John Coats became the church’s Interim Pastor.

  • April 24, 2013 – Church decided to purchase the house at 309 May Avenue.

  • On September 1, 2014, Rev. Rick Meade became the sixth pastor of Lynn Garden Baptist Church.

  • In 2015, Fellowship Hall was remodeled.
  • 75th Anniversary Celebration and Luncheon on September 27, 2015.
  • April 27, 2019 - Started annual "Share the Love" event.
  • In October 2019, the house at 309 May Avenue was demolished.


  • March 2020 - Updates are being made to the Education Building.
  • April 2020 - Under Construction!  Come be a part of it!